Saturday, July 18, 2009

24 hours until Vineman

The Vineman half-ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run) is tomorrow and it should be interesting, to say the least. I use the term "interesting" in the literal sense in that I have no idea what is going to happen, even though I've done this race twice before. I'll break down the unknowns for you:

START TIME: In years past I've been in one of the last waves, starting at around 8:30. This is usually detrimental because the afternoon temperature climbs to around 95-100, so earlier starting waves get an advantage of not having to bike and run in as much heat. This year my wave starts at 6:46am, which means I avoid a lot of the heat and theoretically should have a faster time.

SWIM: I think I am faster then last year, but lack the base to complete the 1.2 mile swim as easily as I have in years past. I just need to remember to keep good form and finish strong. In prior years my times were around 44 and 39 minutes. Projected time this year = 39-41 minutes.

T1: Earlier swim wave means I have to run 10 yards out of the swim to my bike, not 100. 90 less yards to run in bare feet on gravel slightly covered with astro-turf should make T1 quicker. I usually don't care about T1 times and take about 5 minutes, but since I have this early wave start maybe I'll shoot for 3:30 or so.

Bike: Ugh. I've been training with Team in Training for Pac Grove (olympic distance) and haven't gotten in enough long rides. I think my longest ride in the last year has been 35 miles. Hopefully I can stay focused enough to notice my legs breaking down. If I can break 3:40 on the bike I'll be happy.

T2: nothing to say

Run: Ugh. I've had a heel injury for the last 5 months or so, and about a month ago I quit running entirely to try to get it to heal. It didn't. I've been running in the pool for the past couple weeks (I think for an hour, 5 times total). So how will I do on the run? Unknowns:
--Will I be stopped by the heal injury? Or did my month off from running allow it to heal enough so that I can finish this thing?
---Is pool running so incredibly beneficial that I'll be able to run the whole 13.1 miles? OR is it only marginally beneficial and I only have a 2-3 mile running base at this point?

So in the spirit of keeping focused on goals, here's what I hope to accomplish...each goal is superseded by the previous one:
1) Don't injure myself
2) have fun, plus goal #1
3) finish the race, plus #1 and #2
4) Accomplish 1-3, and finish in under 8 hours
5) Accomplish 1-3, and finish in under 7:50 (personal record for course)
6) Accomplish 1-3, and finish in under 7:35 (personal record for a half-ironman)

Goals 1-2 should be easily attainable, 3-6 might be a tad harder

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Glad you get to start earlier!! \:D/ That should help you reach your goals. You have a good attitude about the whole thing...that will help to. All you need now is a good night's sleep and everything will "come out in the warsh" tomorrow. Hee hee.

Now go out there and kick butt, stay safe doing it and come home to me in one piece so you can tell me all about it. :D