Sunday, May 18, 2008

Team in Training ACE ride

I have officially renamed the TNT ACE Team
Old name: ACE (altitude, climbing, endurance)
New name: ACHE (altitude, climbing, heat, endurance)

I have some other acronyms in mind, but since this is a family blog I will not post them here.

So with a heat wave descending on San Diego, coach Phil changed our scheduled 108-mile route to a 63-mile (Kit Carson to Palomar and back, 9900' of climb). I had new cycling shoes and a new rear cassette (changed from a 27 to a 32 to help with the hills).
Below are some of the fun fun things that happened on that ride:
  • The 90 degree heat. I think it was cooler at the top of the mountain, but still...it was hot! With the heat my heart rate was elevated, so it was hard to tell how much the rear cassette helped, but I'm sure it did.
  • At Mile 17 my seat post bolt snapped and pieces went flying; luckily I was on a flat (near Rincon) and was able to keep myself from falling, but as I'm standing on the pedals going 20mph I realize I've never clipped out and stopped while standing. Luckily I was able to do so without falling. So this is the second time in 2 years I've had a bolt snap on me, I'm thinking I need to center myself in the seat better (or lose some weight)
  • Mentor Lisa lost her keys SOMEWHERE on the mountain...SAG drove her and Joanie back to the top of the mountain so they could ride back down looking for them (imagine riding down Solidad, and braking constantly to keep your speed at 5mph for 12 miles down that thing!)
  • Joanie discovered (the hard way) that she can no longer drink a V-8 on long hot rides without getting sick
  • Kudos to coach Phil for keeping a positive attitude, even when his team was strewn all over Palomar Mountain.

1 comment:

Jennywenny said...

Yes, that was a hard one, congratulations on keeping going and thanks for keeping us all laughing with your jokes when we'd stopped laughing quite a while back!