Monday, September 8, 2008

Did I forget to post the Vineman race report?

Yep...and everything else that happened in the past 6 weeks.

Actually it wasn't forgetfulness, it was more like the malaise that has engulfed my body ever since February. My goal has been to train and blog, but I can barely motivate myself to train, and the effort is usually so mediocre that I don't bother blogging the attempt. But more on that later.

Here are Katie and Dana (circled). I had planned on doing something with this picture but changed my mind...and it turns out that once I upload something into Blogger I don't know how to remove it. So feel free to ignore this picture (and this sentence explaining what happened)


I am really really surprised that I finished Vineman. I wasn't in the mood mentally or physically to do this thing, even though I had rented a cabin in Guerneville and was surrounded by friends both old and new. Brian and Katie even came up to cheer us all on, which I thought was really great.

Since the race happened over 7 weeks ago I forget most of the specifics, but here goes:

Vineman 2008, aka The 70.3 That Didn't Hurt
THE LEAD-UP
Woke up to the usual Guerneville morning fog. It was pretty cold, but I kept telling everyone to prepare for 100 degree temperatures later in the day (never happened). I was in the 2nd to last wave (start at 8:22am), so I took my time getting down to the transition area. I could tell Sandra and Dana (left) were excited to participate in their first half-ironman!


THE SWIM
At 8:22 the gun goes off and I'm swimming the 1.2 miles. I really haven't been training hard at swimming, but instead focusing on form and energy conservation. I also focused on having an "honest" swim, since at some places the river is literally 12-16 inches deep and the temptation is there to just stand up and walk. But I kept honest, even at the turnaround point where my hands were scraping the bottom on every stroke and every single person around me was walking.

I swim in and my time turns out to be 0:39:30; I was able to have a smooth easy swim AND break one of my old goals of 40 minutes. So I got that goin for me.

Swim rank = 1191 out of 1825. This can almost be considered "back of the middle of the pack", which makes me so happy I can barely stand it.

T1
I always feel lame for including my transition times, because 1) I don't feel they reflect fitness level (or much else), 2) they are easy to manipulate if the athlete feels so inclined, and 3) my transition times usually suck. As usual I took it fairly slow to give my stomach time to adjust from the horizontal to the vertical, and my time turned out to be 0:5:23, which is pretty poor by coach Gurujan's standards. However my T1 ranking for the day was 1328th out of 1825. What the hell were those other 500 people doing?


THE BIKE
So as usual, about 5 miles into the bike I start feeling horrible and feel like quitting. I don't know why this happens, but I suspect I get water in my sinuses from the swim and it induces some sort of pressure-migraine effect on my head and brain. So the next 10 miles or so consist of me searching for some reason to keep on going and finishing this damn thing. The reasons that ultimately kept me going were:
  • I've never DNF'ed a half-ironman before. If I finished this one, I would have completed 4 halves in under a year. If I didn't finish, I would have to say I DNF'ed a half and I didn't want that

  • There is the possibility that I could cheer someone on and motivate them to finish when they otherwise wouldn't

So I decided to just go as slowly as I needed to on the bike, and enjoy the day and the scenery. My ultimate goal was to finish this race unhurt, and have the ability to continue training the next day or the day after.

Around mile 25 I caught up with Dana, who was changing her 2nd flat of the day. She was pretty discouraged so I stopped and chatted with her for awhile and tried to cheer her up (which was tough because my attitude was probably worse).

FYI here is an excerpt from Dana's blog "I'm feeling like I'm WAY behind on time and going to have to race the clock without much luck of making the cut. ok - it's going to be ok. and then i see him. paul has caught me and i know that i'm in trouble of not making it"...I'm hoping she was referring to the fact that I started 2 waves behind her, and not to my slowness :P

Anyways, to make a long story short (too late Paul) I finished the bike in 3:56:53, about 30 minutes slower then last year but given my current state I was just happy to finish.

Bike rank: 1750 out of 1825 (ugh)

T2

Again, same as T1...I take my time to take off my bike gear and change into my run stuff, T2 time = 0:4:29. Ranking = 1061 out of 1825. Looking back I could have easily shaved off a minute and been in the top 700. Maybe that should be my new goal, at least I can be in the triple-digits for SOMETHING.

THE RUN
I brought my road bike instead of my triathlon bike so my quads were cramping up almost immediately. Last time, Coach Felipe! No more road bikes in triathlon, I swear!

So as I said before it was a lot cooler this year. It was maybe 80 degrees on the run, whereas last year it was 100+. nothing interesting to report, just a 13.1 mile out and back in 3:04:52 (about 30 minutes faster than last year). I get near the finish line and see Katie jumping up and down and screaming her head off...she was either 1) excited to see me, or 2) was waiting so long for me to finish that she really had to go to the bathroom. She ran the last mile with me which was super-cool because I was ready for the race to be over.









run rank: 1729 out of 1825.

Final ranking = 1695 out of 1825, time = 7:51:08 or about 4 minutes faster than last year. I stated above that I wanted to finish the race unhurt. It turns out that after a cold bath (no ice available) that I only had mild soreness the next day and wasn't forced to take time off to recover. So that plus my swim PR made a pretty decent day.

Thanks for reading, and I banged this out without proofing so sorry for any spelling errors!

1 comment:

katie b said...

i was/am very proud of you Paul for a) finishing and b) not quitting...i know those seem like the same thing, but they're different (atleast in my head). keep it up and you'll have IMAZ in the bag :)